DEPENDENCE ON GOVERNMENT: THE PATHWAY TO TYRANNY
By W. G. Guy
The Lord God Almighty had His servant, Moses, to make a written record of ancient history from the time of Adam up through the time of Israel’s crossing into the Promised Land . As part of this historical account is included a warning and a classic example of how a centralized government becomes a tyranny by gaining absolute control over people. This historic account is briefly captured in the Bible describing the rule of Nimrod and the building of his tower of defiance in the Plain of Shinar, referred to as the Tower of Babel in Babylon – (see Genesis 11:1-9).
This account is but just one of many historical tyrannical governments that existed in history; however, this one spells out a very specific message as to just what it is that a centralized government is, what its objectives are, and its overall purpose. This material is being presented as a dire warning for America and the road on which it is now rapidly traveling down on the pathway to tyranny.
We begin after the flood that destroyed all life on earth except for Noah and his family that were spared. God directed Noah and his family to re-populate and spread out over the earth:
Genesis 9:1 – So God blessed Noah and his sons, and said to them: “Be fruitful and multiply, and fill the earth.
As the population grew over the following years, the succeeding generations drifted farther and farther away from honoring and revering Almighty God. Then arose a mighty man, a harsh and brutal authoritarian named Nimrod, who set himself up as a leader and tried to take the place of God in the lives of the masses.
Genesis 10:8-10 – Cush begot Nimrod; he began to be a mighty one on the earth. He was a mighty hunter (conqueror of men) before the Lord; therefore it is said, “Like Nimrod the mighty hunter before the Lord.” And the beginning of his kingdom was Babel, Erech, Accad, and Calneh, in the land of Shinar.
(Note: the name Nimrod means “rebel” or “rebellious one”; this is significant.)
The following historical account is taken from the Jewish Historian, Josephus, as he documented in ANTIQUITIES OF THE JEWS, Chapter IV. This account picks up after the flood and as the descendants of Noah began to multiply.
- Now the sons of Noah were three, - Shem, Japhet, and Ham, born one hundred years before the Deluge. These first of all descended from the mountains into the plains, and fixed their habitation there; and persuaded others who were greatly afraid of the lower grounds on account of the flood, and so were very loath to come down from the higher places, to venture to follow their examples. Now the plain in which they first dwelt was called Shinar. God also commanded them to send colonies abroad, for the thorough peopling of the earth, - that they might not raise seditions among themselves, but might cultivate a great part of the earth, and enjoy its fruits after a plentiful manner: but they were so ill instructed, that they did not obey God; for which reason they fell into calamities, and were made sensible, by experience, of what sin they had been guilty; for when they flourished with numerous youth, God admonished them again to send out colonies; but they, imagining the prosperity they enjoyed was not derived from the favour of God, but supposing that their own power was the proper cause of the plentiful condition they were in, did not obey him. Nay, they added to this their disobedience to the Divine will, the suspicion that they were therefore ordered to send out separate colonies, that. Being divided asunder, they might the more easily be oppressed.
- Now it was Nimrod who excited them to such an affront and contempt of God. He was the grandson of Ham, the son of Noah, -a bold man, and of great strength of hand. He persuaded them not ascribe it to God, as if it was through his means they were happy, but to believe that it was their own courage which procured that happiness. He also gradually changed the government into tyranny, - seeing no other way of turning men from the fear of God, but to bring them into a constant dependence upon his power, He also said he would be revenged on God, if he should have a mind to drown the world again; for that he would build a tower too high for the waters to be able to reach! And that he would avenge himself on God for destroying their forefathers!
(Notice the underlined items in the above paragraph showing the technique that God-hating men use to dissuade people from obeying God and getting them to depend on themselves or their own form of leadership - government.)
- Now the multitude were very ready to follow the determination of Nimrod, and to esteem it a piece of cowardice to submit to God; and they built a tower, neither sparing any pains, nor being in any degree negligent about the work; and, by reason of the multitude of hands employed in it, it grew very high, sooner than anyone could expect; but the thickness of it was so great, and it was so strongly built, that the reby (sight of) its great height seemed, upon the view, to be less than it really was. It was built of burnt brick, cemented together with mortar, made of bitumen (the same material used to waterproof Noah’s ark), that it might not be liable to admit water. When God saw that they acted so madly, he did not resolve to destroy them utterly, since they were not grown wiser by the destruction of the former sinners; but he caused a tumult among them, by producing in them divers languages; and causing that, through the multitude of those languages, they should not be able to understand one another. The place wherein they built the tower is now called Babylon; because of the confusion of that language which they readily understood before; for the Hebrews mean by the word Babel , Confusion.
Obviously these confused people had to leave off with the construction of the tower. Other historical writings indicate that at the pinnacle of the tower was planned, or actually constructed, a temple designed for worship of pagan or man-made deities in further defiance of God.
So what do we learn from this historical account? A defiant and rebellious person or group of people who aspire to rule others must get people to reject and deny God; they get them to band together under a cause or purpose which they commit their all to; they must have people believe lies and commit themselves to the leader’s plan or agenda becoming totally dependent thereon. Dependence on man’s plan or agenda leads to tyranny. Tyranny means slavery; becoming servants to the system of government imposed by the leader(s).
We have seen this very scenario played out over and over again in the past century: Adolf Hitler and the Third Reich; Joseph Stalin, Mao Tsung, Tito Franco, Fidel Castro and others of the Marxist/Socialist/Communist movement. All want to replace God with themselves and their ideas of ruling people: and all use human rationalization and justification for imposing their ideas on people. It is well known that Marxists, Socialists and Communist are God haters and of the spirit of antichrist, (1John 4:1-3).
The weakness in their form of government is that it is solely based on human rationalization and justification which is CARNAL, all based on fleshly lusts and desire which are evil. This is why such governments are in defiance of God and reject submission to and dependence on Him.
Such is the direction that the leftist/progressives/socialists in positions of our American government are now on; passing laws, rulings and policies making us more dependent on them and their control of government. These leftists in our government have no problem denying God and telling us lies; lies and deception being a key tool of the defiant enemy of God:
John 8:44 – You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it.
Most Americans cannot, or refuse to, see where all these godless and leftist efforts are taking us. It is all in defiance of God and to establish a one world or global government. The end result is Godlessness and CONFUSION – a system that ends up being the modern day BABYLON as we read about in the Book of Revelation; and that BABYLON will FALL.
Revelation 18:1-10 – After these things I saw another angel coming down from heaven, having great authority, and the earth was illuminated with his glory And he cried mightily with a loud voice, saying, “Babylon the great is fallen, is fallen, and has become a dwelling place of demons, a prison for every foul spirit, and a cage for every unclean and hated bird! For all the nations have drunk of the wine of the wrath of her fornication, the kings of the earth have committed fornication with her, and the merchants of the earth have become rich through the abundance of her luxury.”
And I heard another voice from heaven saying, “Come out of her, my people, lest you share in her sins, and lest you receive of her plagues. For her sins have reached to heaven, and God has remembered her iniquities. Render to her just as she rendered to you, and repay her double according to her works; in the cup which she has mixed, mix double for her. In the measure that she glorified herself and lived luxuriously, in the same measure give her torment and sorrow; for she says in her heart, ‘I sit as queen, and am no widow, and will not see sorrow.’ Therefore her plagues will come in one day—death and mourning and famine. And she will be utterly burned with fire, for strong is the Lord God who judges her.
“The kings (Nimrod’s) of the earth who committed fornication and lived luxuriously with her will weep and lament for her, when they see the smoke of her burning, standing at a distance for fear of her torment, saying, ‘Alas, alas, that great city Babylon, that mighty city! For in one hour your judgment has come.’
Here is the conclusion of this matter: We have Babylon, a godless form of governmental tyranny in the Book of Genesis, the book of the beginning, and we have a godless form of government tyranny in the Book of Revelation, the book of the end. Babylon appears in both the beginning and the end; both are governments of man defying Almighty God. It appears that the Babylon of Revelation is another large scale system of government, perhaps a global government, patterned after the ancient Babylon of Nimrod. The message from scripture could not be clearer as to the urgency of our current situation in America and the efforts of the United Nations and the leftist/socialist/progressives in our government.
Heed the warning given in Revelation 18:4 highlighted above because, of a certainty, catastrophe is on its way for this modern Babylon. America should not be part of it, but as warned, should “come out” and not be part of that system. America once stood for godliness, morality and decency; sadly to say, it doesn’t anymore. We need to return to the God of our Founding Fathers and their sense of morals, values and reverence for God and His Word.
Here is another warning for these end-times; it is a call to alertness, to become aware of what is going on, and a call to earnest, fervent and unrelenting prayer; not giving up or giving in but continuing to fight the good fight of faith aNd faithfulness.
Luke 21:34-36 – But take heed to yourselves, lest your hearts be weighed down with carousing, drunkenness, and cares of this life, and that Day come on you unexpectedly. For it will come as a snare on all those who dwell on the face of the whole earth. Watch therefore, and pray always that you may be counted worthy to escape all these things that will come to pass, and to stand before the Son of Man.”
Knowing, obeying and honoring God and believing on His Son means we have something far better than what godless, carnal leadership can promise and build. Therefore:
John 14:1-6 – “Let not your heart be troubled; you believe in God, believe also in Me. In My Father’s house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you. And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and receive you to Myself; that where I am, there you may be also. And where I go you know, and the way you know.” Thomas said to Him, “Lord, we do not know where You are going, and how can we know the way?” Jesus said to him, “I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.”
Therefore, do not put your trust or dependence in the leftist/socialist government of man as it only leads to tyranny.
Psalm 118:8-9 – It is better to trust in the Lord Than to put confidence in man. It
is better to trust in the Lord Than to put confidence in princes (government or
Matthew 6:33 – But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you.
- Dependence on government leads to tyranny, (because of lies).
- Dependence on God leads to FREEDOM, (because of truth).
John 8:32 & 36 – And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. Therefore if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed.